Saturday, January 26, 2013

Diablo 3


Iv been a Diablo fan since the first one came in 1996, and i played that game for ages. Though i didnt buy it when i was 5.. i bought it 2003 but still. I played Diablo 1 until Windows 7 came, (reason why I stopped was because it didnt work anymore with the OS) every weekend me and a friend sat down and played it. I mean that game was just a marvel. It was awesome, fun, and pure Badass! I remembering me and my friend he was playing the warrior, and i was playing the sorcerer (Wizard) we always had a lot of fun in that game, not because you could “accidentally” kill your friend with a firewall but it was the feeling, and how good the game was in general.

I mean the feeling when you moved around in the dungeon with friends, when you faced the hordes of skeleton-demons, since the game wasnt that easy.. nor that hard. It had that perfect mixture of Balance. But I do think my friend thought I was more of a threat then the actual enemies.. Mostly because of my devastating spells, he always “accidentally” got killed by them when he was attacking some skeleton-demons. But we did kill them all.. but with the price of someone almost dying. The game always rewarded you with good loot. And it was easy to know who of us that took what, since I only used magic items, and my friend always went with the more heavier things. So he focused more on Strength and me on Willpower items.

I still remember the Butcher.. oh yes the “AAAAHHH FRESH MEAT!” 
He still had the best line in the game, but what I think made Diablo so good, (beside the game mechanics and loot system) It was the acting.. it was so bad, that it was awesome. I really loved that acting, it almost reminded me of Resident Evil (first one) when Barry said to Jill.. “Jill you master of unlocking take this with you” “Oh, you were almost a Jill-sandwich” And all those awesome quotes.

I actually played Diablo 2 Before Diablo 1, but I like Diablo 1 more then 2.. But back to Diablo 2
When I had Diablo 2 I didnt even have internet. But it was awesome, first character I played was the “Necromancer” and yes, he summons the dead. And DAMN he can summon the dead. Later on in the game when you can make an army of 25 Footsoldiers (skeletons) and 25 Mages (also skeletons) It was just awesome.. Normaly you cant have that many, if you didnt have “The Charms” Charms in Diablo 2 was something new and was just a simple item in your backpack that game you a random Passive, if you were lucky it could increase your skills by 1-3 (all of them hehe) And I had about half of my inventory full of them. There was 3 different charms
First one only took 1 inventory space, Second one took 2 space blocks. And you can only guess what the third one did.. OH YES!! it did not take 8 or 5 or 100... It took..... THREE!! (amazin right?.. you didnt see that one coming) Its not really recommended to do that.. Since it takes ages to actually get those things you need. I think I played the game with the same character over 2 weeks just to get those items.. Was fun but hell of a lot of work.

When my friend saw that army of the dead. We also made the small joke of “HAH.. I am wielding the necronomicon” Which is the book of the dead, by HP-Lovecraft. And it did kinda fit in quite well. Since I more or less had that army which just couldnt die.. They could. Just took a lot of effort on the demons part to kill them.. And to make matters even better. Later on in the summoning tree there was a skill that increased the Power/Health/Defense/Resistance/ Etc on your ….. YES!!! Skeletons! (all of them) Which just made the icing on the cake even better!

In 2002 I got Internet and me and my friend began the mayhem. And we both owned the expansion too then, so it was only just to move around and kill them all. He tried the Assassin, and I went Druid. And it was actually a very good combination. I summoned Ravens/Wolfs/Bears/Serpents and much more.. (huge surprise that I play as a summoner right?) And this class was a lot different from the Necromancer, since first of all, the necromancer needs corpses to summon the skeletons. While the druid dont, he can summon them from thin air and just go “Have you seen my “Waves hands” BEAR!” Which was awesome, But they made a balance thing, you could only have either the Wolfs or The bear up at the same time. Which makes sense in a way but also was rather “DAMNIT!” I do remember that later when I got the Bear.. and noticed the wolfs went.. I just thought... EH... Bear it is.. There was quite the difference between them. The Bear was more of a Tank.. While the Wolfs were damage dealers.. Which kinda makes sense since you can have WAAAY (5) more Wolves then Bears (Can only have one).. Even though the Bear does a lot more damage, the wolves could attack multiple enemies at a time.
We played this game over and over my friend and when I bought Diablo 1 it all began over again and we played that game even more. There was just something about that game that was just perfect.

Diablo III When you started the game it felt okey, the environment felt nice and Gothic like the old games. The story in act one was actually the closest to how Diablo games are. (the rest were just dragging it all out.. and kinda pissed me off) The skill system in the beginning was quite ok, but after you hit a certain level you noticed that about 70% of everything you've gotten is shit, and the newer once are just way better for surival. Skill systems in ARPG's always use a Skill-tree to make your character more personal and gives you more options on what you want to have and made you think of.. Is this worth specking on? Because if I find something new I would waste this one.. (this made you always consider PROS and CONS), but since you got everything automaticly which was fine in the first 10 levels. But it got kinda boring after a while, YES there was fun things in it in the beginning. Like “This Rune does this and this” (which you maybe prefer over the one you had. So you just wanted to get to that level to use it) But later on when you had all the runes, there was no point in doing a new lets say “Monk” Because he would be the exact same, since if I wanted to change my things on my other monk I could do it anyway any time.. So the replay value wasnt really there.

But there is ways that they actually could have made this approach to work, think like this.. I play as Monk.. You have a “Rune-Tree” On Level 5 you get your first choice. Between 3 different spells. And if you chose one of them, the other 2 are locked, and cannot be taken later on. This would make the Rune System to work very well and it would also give the game more of a character. And would make things work out. Yes people will still think the stiffness in the game is fun and all. But for people that have played ARPG's for years, isnt really the real way. They made the game waaay to easy for people to understand, instead of actually trying to let people actually figure out how the game was.

Blizzard were just straight out lazy when they made Diablo 3. The whole game was just a cash collector. The item drop was way to bad, just because they wanted people to use the in-game AH (Yes they used an In-game AH with real moneyso they can profit from it. The game after act one to act 4 just felt slow and the story was poorly made. The whole game was a big cliche. You always knew what was going to happen, nothing was a real surprise, unlike the old games. Even though you still knew what was going to happen. But in the third game, like in act 3. The boss is doing the typical move villain, telling his whole plot which is straight out stupid, since you know who it is and where he is after that. Which ruins the point of playing thru act 3. Act 4 is just lazy. There is nothing to do besides going from point A to B.. which you did in the whole game..

The game had no reward for exploring except for unfair elites. Blizzard also said it was going to be "Random generated" but since the overworld was the same all the time, it became quite sickening to play it over and over. And the "Random dungeons" were only 2-4 different maps with some events. Which isnt really random generated.. its just pre-created maps with a random selection. The rune system later on was also very badly made, since as i said before most of it isnt needed. There was no customizations and no real feel for leveling. In the old games you always went "YES!" on a new level. a new spell/upgrade. in this game you more or less went, huh, i dinged.. *Moving on* And the major thing most be there is no attributes.

Which an ARPG is all about, making your character as you want him to be. For example. I want to give my warrior more mana so i can do some extra attacks etc. or to give my Mage some extra dex so they enemy has an increased chance of missing me. The companions, was a stupid idea to have in the game, they were good. But since you cant use them online. Makes them straight out useless. They are a worthless edition to the game and dosnt even add anything to it, then having some annoying ai randomly throw around words. They made the whole Diablo game into a failed "Arpg" and more of an unsuccessful "mmorpg" And that you can only play 4 players was just stupid, there is no reason to why they limit the game to 4 players and focus the whole game around 4 players, which made everything easy.

And the fact that you ALWAYS have to be online to even play it is just dumb, you cant play LAN, and you have a chance of getting Lag in Single-Player.. And this is just stupid, I wouldnt care if you need to activate the account on their page and after the first login. The “codes” are saved in the computer and you can play the game in offline mode.. Like in StarCraft 2.. Even though you can only play the Campaign.. Which is the only reason why you would play Offline mode (though you cant really chose it, its just if you cant log in at the time)

The game was fun while it lasted, but its just not worth to get back to after everything, i cant say the game was utter shit, it was good the first month, trying out evey class etc.. But it never felt real.. it felt like a slight disapointment, and i know people can say "But of course, there was such a huge time inbetween the games" NO! That is not the damn case! Look at Starcraft 2 and 1. Yes the first one is better. BUT! the second one is not far behind from being Badass! So thats just a lame ass excuse for saying why it is as it is. But overall Diablo 3 is fun to play. It just isnt a diablo game.. Since Diablo games ia all about the Crawling and the Gothic enviroments, loot and teamwork. They made one of those things good in the game.. and that was Teamwork.. it works with 4 players, but its just stupid that they limited it to that.
I havent played Diablo 3 since 1 month after release, and i will never go back to it. In my eyes, Diablo 3 never happend, and i will remain in that state of mind. Diablo 3 was and will always be. WoW-Isometric

No comments:

Post a Comment